Tips for Making Financial Resolutions Come True
Chevy Chase, Maryland—When it comes to making resolutions, financial ones are among the most popular, each year. Resolutions focused on managing debt and saving money can frequently top the list. Rather than just resolve to take care of finances this year, there is a greater chance for success with your resolution when specific goals are identified.
“It’s easy to say that you are going to get your financial house in order,” explains Bernie Wolfe, a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM Professional and founder of Bernard R. Wolfe & Associates, Inc., which specializes in offering wealth management strategies. “However, you need to know what it takes to make that happen. You need a concrete game plan in order to successfully achieve your goals.”
- Here are some tips for thinking more in-depth about what it takes to get finances in order and achieve those resolutions:
- Create and stick to a realistic budget. People often have no idea what they spend or where their money goes. Try documenting expenses for a month, then creating a realistic budget in order to gain better control over cash flow.
- Focus on paying off debt that is high-interest. Rather than looking at balances, consider the amount of interest being paid on each debt. Those with the highest interest rate should be paid off first, in order to save money long-term.
- Build up an emergency fund. You never know when life will throw you a curve ball.
- Once the high-interest debt is paid off, start saving and investing money on an automatic basis so that the temptation to spend the money elsewhere is removed
- Meet with a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM Professional. Search for an adviser who is willing to take the time to develop an understanding of your specific goals and objectives. At that point, they should be in a better position to discuss potential investment strategies since there isn’t a “one size fits all” solution.
“This year, if you really want to achieve some sense of financial accomplishment, aim to meet specific goals, rather than making blanket statements,” added Wolfe. “Your resolutions will be a lot more successful if you do.”
Bernard R. Wolfe & Associates, Inc., has provided financial management strategies and investment services since 1981. They assist a wide range of private and corporate clients with everything from estate planning and investing to divorce planning.
About Bernard R. Wolfe & Associates, Inc.
Bernard R. Wolfe & Associates, Inc., founded in 1981, provides wealth management strategies and institutional investment services. The company is led by a team of Certified Financial Planners who have over 50 years of combined years of experience in the field. The team of professionals provides financial planning guidance to a diverse range of personal and corporate clients. To learn more about Bernard R. Wolfe & Associates, Inc., visit the website at www.bernardwolfe.com.